We are not currently accepting applications for this position.
As ProPublica, America’s premier investigative newsroom, expands its regional operation in the Midwest, we are looking for a top-flight reporter to join our team. You will take on ambitious, compelling stories grounded in this region but with national resonance, stories designed to surprise, reveal, inform and bring about change.
Since its launch in 2017, our Chicago-based office has produced investigative journalism that has helped erase millions of dollars in debt, oust government officials, change state policy and free people from prison. Our stories have ranged from a multipart examination of the impact of video gambling across the state to a narrative about a decades-old unsolved murder.
Now, as we build out our newsroom to cover other areas of the Midwest, including Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota and Missouri, we plan to uncover gaps in oversight, abuses of power, conflicts of interest and betrayals of the public trust throughout the region. To help us do that, we’re looking for a reporter who:
- Has produced original, revelatory, in-depth or investigative stories. If that experience is in the Midwest, all the better, but we are very open to applicants with strong bodies of work from other places. You don’t have to be an “investigative reporter,” but you do have to have shown a dedication to digging for the truth.
- Aches to report stories that are both important and powerfully told, and who has a vision for how they’d cover the Midwest.
- Is truly excited about all the ways we can do journalism now, including digging deep in data, working with readers and marrying narrative and investigative forms.
- Wants to bring an accountability lens to the issues of the day through quick-turnaround investigations as well as longer projects.
- Really likes working with others. We are a highly collaborative newsroom, both across our team and with other news organizations regionally and nationally. We believe we do our best work together.
Again, we know there are great candidates who may not exactly fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of the ProPublica staff.) We’re committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, apply using this form.
This position is full time and includes benefits. Our Midwest office is based in Chicago, but we’re open to reporters who want to be based anywhere in our Midwest coverage area: Illinois Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota and Missouri. If you currently live elsewhere, we’ll relocate you in accordance with our policies. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Questions? Send them to [email protected]. No phone calls, please. We will begin reviewing applications on May 10. Applications are due by 7 a.m. EDT (6 a.m. CDT) on July 6.