ProPublica is looking for a data editor with the vision and skills to guide, edit and elevate top-notch, data-based projects that spur change.
As data editor you will:
- Lead a growing team of data reporters working across the newsroom.
- Help edit the institution’s most complex data stories and play a leading role in editing our complex methodology white papers, ensuring that the language as well as the statistical work is accurate and well-explained.
- Maintain standards and best practices for data projects.
- Create effective workflows that ensure that projects are completed on schedule.
- Execute a vision to keep pushing ProPublica’s data journalism forward and help us set the standard for the industry.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Training in statistics and experience applying complex statistical concepts in a newsroom. This means choosing models that are suitable to answering statistical questions as well as being able to explain them to readers.
- A strong belief that transparency and open sourcing is an important part of responsible data science. For this reason, you’ll also need to have proficiency in R, or in using Python for data analysis.
We also know that great candidates can bring skills to ProPublica that we haven’t thought of, and who won’t fit everything we’ve described above. If this is you, don’t hesitate to apply, and tell us what unique contributions you can offer.
You can apply using this form. Candidates elsewhere must be willing to relocate to New York City. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The last day to apply is Sunday, May 7. This position is a permanent role and is full time with benefits.
ProPublica is dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. Therefore, we are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Have questions? Email [email protected].