Suzy Khimm

El monóxido de carbono que producen los generadores envenena a miles de personas al año. Estados Unidos ha fallado en exigir cambios de seguridad.

Los generadores portátiles están entre los productos de consumo más mortales. Dos décadas después de que el gobierno identificará el peligro, el sistema deja a la gente vulnerable al permitir que la industria se regule a sí misma.

Carbon Monoxide From Generators Poisons Thousands of People a Year. The U.S. Has Failed to Force Safety Changes.

Portable generators are among the deadliest consumer products. Two decades after the government identified the danger, and as climate change leads to more power outages, people are left vulnerable by a system that lets the industry regulate itself.

“La mitad de la familia simplemente desapareció de la noche a la mañana”

Después de atender una llamada al 911 sobre una familia que se había desmayado, equipos de emergencia llegaron a la casa y tocaron la puerta. Como nadie contestó, se marcharon. Adentro, una familia entera estaba siendo envenenada por monóxido de carbono.

“People Will Lose Their Lives”: Texas Isn’t Doing Enough to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Deaths, Critics Say

Months after the deadly gas killed at least 17 Texans during a massive winter storm, lawmakers have failed to take significant action to protect most of the state’s residents.

“Half of the Family Just Disappeared Overnight”

Following a 911 call about a family that had fainted, first responders arrived at the house and knocked on the door. No one answered, so they left. Inside, an entire family was being poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Texas Enabled the Worst Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Catastrophe in Recent U.S. History

They used their car to stay warm when a winter storm brought down the Texas power grid. In a state that doesn’t require carbon monoxide alarms in homes, they had no warning they were poisoning themselves.

Texas no exige alarmas de monóxido de carbono. Sus residentes más vulnerables pagaron el precio

Usaron su auto para calentarse cuando una tormenta invernal tumbó la red eléctrica de Texas. En un estado que no exige alarmas para detectar el monóxido de carbono en las viviendas, no tenían advertencia alguna de que se estaban intoxicando.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas that can cause serious injury or even death if inhaled in high quantities. Here’s how you can keep your home and family safe.

Cómo prevenir la intoxicación por monóxido de carbono en su vivienda

El monóxido de carbono es un gas invisible, incoloro e inodoro, que puede causar serios problemas de salud e incluso la muerte si es inhalado en altas cantidades. Esto es lo que tiene que saber para mantener a su familia y a su hogar seguros.

Follow ProPublica

Latest Stories from ProPublica